Sunday, 22 February 2015

A project for a friend

A friend of mine saw the desk I had made from the old door and asked if it would be possible to make a dining table in a similar way for her.   I jumped at the chance to create something unique.  I managed to again pick up a door via eBay that was taken from an old workers cottage.  It was made with tongue and groove and in good solid condition.  The door was a nice light latte colour which I though would look nice if a little was left after sanding to add character.  What I discovered when I started sanding was that there was at least three different layers and colours of paint underneath.  





The bottom layer was a dark teal blue which after hours of sanding still left the timber blue.  Hmmm.... I think I need a belt sander.  I could now see some of the lovely grain in the timber however when I wet it to see what it would look like with a clear varnish, it came up a peachy pink.  Not quite what I had envisioned.
So I decided to pay a visit to the hardware store and pick up some stain.  I chose a walnut stain as I think it was nice rich colour.  I used a similar method to what I did with the bookshelves utilising some white and grey water based paint with a dry brush to create the aged affect. 

I finally finished sanding the door and although it looked a little blue I thought it would come up ok one I added the stain and paint.

I now needed to select some legs.  To continue with the industrial feel to the table I thought metal legs would suit best.  We toyed with the idea of using galvanised piping for the legs however some of the parts proved difficult to source and the cost was building up quickly.   In the end we went with some square brushed steel legs which looked good and were simple to fit and nice and strong.



This how the table looked in my friend's home.  I think it looks great with the Tolix chairs.







1 comment: