Friday, 20 February 2015

New Projects

Well it's been a while since I've taken the time to dive into another project. Over the past few months though I have had the opportunity to finish a couple of things. I picked up some old school desks and have given new life to one of them.  As it had a laminex top I decided to use chalkboard paint on the top which I thought would add a fun element. I then spray painted the legs a spunky red to give it some colour. Finally I also added a little bit of stenciling to give it some more personality.

I have two more little desks to so so I might do a little more experimenting with the other tow.  This little desk has now gone to a new home to be cherished.


Another project for the house I am working on is our study nook.  We have two alcoves next to each other in the house which I'm not really sure were designed for.  I think they would make a perfect study nook and built-in bookcase.  So that the filing cabinet fits in the nook as well I decided to make a new desk.  I really liked what I have been seeing on Pinterest in regards to upcycling an old door and re-purposing it into a desk/table.  I managed to pick up an old door taken from a Queenslander that someone was selling on line.  It was covered in a dark brown paint and when I started to sand it back I discovered lots of character underneath.  I kept some of the metal work, including a hinge and a keyhole plate which I placed on the top when I had finished.  I had to cut the door down so it would fit perfectly into the nook.  Once I had sanded enough of the paint I polished up the timber with some cabinet maker's wax.  I love hairpin legs however wasn't able to find any second hand on line or at a reasonable price new.  I ended up getting these hairpin style legs with castors, which were relatively easy to fit. Here is what I ended up with.



I am really happy with the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment